Career OPPORTUNITIES at ACSF
Current open position as of June 28, 2018:
Part-time (24 hours per week)
Click here to view the position description as a pdf.
We are a small, fast-paced, hard-working nonprofit organization that is driven to do what works for kids and teachers. We are friendly, passionate, and energetic, seeking a detailed-oriented person to be the hub of our office. We are looking for a long-term fit for our team. You are a good fit if you strive to do your part with excellence, energy, and efficiency. You must be flexible, friendly, and care about improving public education for children. You must have a positive attitude, thrive on multi-tasking, and have initiative. You should have a well-rounded knowledge of, and commitment to, the philosophy of the Asheville City Schools Foundation.
Provides a variety of administrative supports to Directors and/or other staff including: coordinating the flow of communication in the office and to the community; researching/compiling information; coordination of activities between departments and/or outside services; maintaining data and information; generating and formatting reports; coordinating special projects including special events as well as general organizational administrative support.
- Be the hub of positive, efficient, mission-centered office culture:
- Track overhead budget expenses, process payments as necessary for online and organizational expenses,
- purchase office materials, track income and expenses to appropriate budget lines, coordinate with
- Development Associate to track donations to appropriate budget lines, and compile weekly check requests
- and deposits for book keeper
- Facilitate the annual audit process with file preparation and staff wrangling
- Retrieve office mail from PO box
- Provide office accountant with monthly checking statements and part-time staff timesheets
- Ensure office nonprofit compliance and update documents as necessary
- Support organizational record-keeping by organizing and keeping current files and folders
- Support the executive director and other staff teams by providing logistical arrangements for meetings,
- events, conferences, etc.
- Trouble-shoot office technology- printers, computers – interface with ACS technology services
- Collaborate in on-boarding of new staff
- Keep information flowing between departments by organizing staff meetings, celebrations, and calendars
- Maintain quality control of office processes– address inefficiencies and improve systems
Interact with community:
- Serve as a liaison between ACSF and the ACS resources, connect with administration, central office and IT
- Be the point of entry to the organization for phone and email inquiries, building community around our cause with excellent customer service and care
- Make contact with schools and other locations for meetings, visits, and tours
- Be the board of directors go-to with communications, meeting and event planning and support
- Coordinate with board of directors and TD Bank to update annual signatories
- Support organizational communications:
- Manage and update website regularly with program information and events
- Manage social media – post to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Build followers and reach.
- Occasionally support the development of flyers or information about programs and events
- Develop Powerpoint or other presentations of programs and organizational work
Support special events:
- Assist Development Director with special events including guest outreach, registration, and logistics
- Support event related communications by administrating press releases and postings.
- Interact with vendors, confirm services
- Support program and site visits including but not limited to IRL after-school, TAPAS artist residencies,
- teacher grants and scholarships in order to generate support of ACSF and mission.
- Experience in an administrative role
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Excellent references from a recent job with substantially similar experience
- Availability for up to five evening events per year.
- Preference given to applicants with these skills:
- Experience with website management preferred(current platform is Squarespace)
- Knowledge of budget software of Quickbooks
- Design skills including Publisher and Adobe Creative Suite or comparable graphic design platform (Exs. Canva, Vectr)
Compensation and benefits: In addition to a great team, awesome cause, and supportive work environment, this position offers paid-time off after 90 days and sick leave which accrues each year. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience ranging from $15-$20/hour. The position will have set hours which can be negotiated, but include at least four days in the office per week. We work collaboratively and cooperatively to make life work for our team, so we expect to flex with schedules and personal needs. This position has growth potential and could become a .75 or fulltime position with health benefits in the future.
Are you a good fit? Email your resume AND cover letter explaining why this job caught your eye. Explain what parts of the job would be familiar (and share experience to support that) and what parts of the job would be a learning opportunity. Include two recent, professional references and we will contact you before we contact your references. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin reviewing applicants on July 16 until hired. Please no phone calls, and as we are enjoying summer, expect delays in response to emails.
About The Asheville City Schools Foundation (ACSF): ACSF is an independent nonprofit. Our mission is to implement bold strategies, fund big ideas, and engage the community to increase excellence with equity in the Asheville City Schools. You can read more about the Asheville City Schools Foundation at www.acsf.org.
About the UNC Asheville Key Center for Community Engaged Learning: The Key Center for Community Engaged Learning is the hub of community engagement at UNC Asheville, connecting students, faculty, staff, and community partners in meaningful and transformative relationships that strengthen communities and address societal needs. Whether it's a one-time project, an ongoing commitment, or an academic service-learning course, our primary goal is to support and facilitate UNC Asheville community members as they connect and engage with the larger communities of Asheville, Western North Carolina, the nation and the world.
ACSF’s board adopted policy prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital or family status. We actively solicit participation from all ethnic and racial backgrounds.This job description is simply a description of the position and its normal duties. It is in no way intended to serve as any form of contract.